Sunday, September 12, 2010

I just read a 903-page astronomy book in 32.6 seconds.

Book Reviews

Lioness and her Knight by Gerald Morris
The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales)
A young adult book set in Arthurian England. This is a young adult book that is really a tween book. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities. The characters are flat, the story is utterly predictable, and it's slow moving.


***
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Mysterious Benedict Society
A young adult fantasy about a group of brilliant youngsters who save the world. This was a good read. It is clever, a completely unique story, and very smart. I highly recommend it. My favorite part was the girl's bucket.


***
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (number 2 in the Percy Jackson series)
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
The series remained good for the second one. The descriptions of the gods, especially when they become human are very clever.


***
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
House Rules: A Novel
Picoult likes to write novels about hot topic issues. I loved her "My Sister's Keeper" but got burnt out after I tried to read every book that she wrote. It's been a while, and so when Heather recommended this one, I was surprised, but decided to try it. It was a really good read. The issue that Picoult deals with is autism and she does a good job of expressing how everyone in a family deals with it when a member of the family has autism.


***
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (the third book in the Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
I love the Hunger Game series. It is really engaging. Again with the third book, I couldn't put it down. I was disappointed with the end though.

No comments:

Post a Comment