Saturday, October 3, 2015

Have you seen my Balzac? … Have you seen my Dickens? … Have you seen my Longfellow?

Audiobooks!


Image result for the boys in the boat

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
Format: Audiobook

The Story: The true story of the crew team from the University of Washington that went to the 1936 Olympic games. Brown, the author, is invited to meet Joe Rantz, who is in the present dying. Rantz begins to tell Brown his story, the story of the eight other men he rowed with and the boat.

The Review: This is a beautiful book. It's a fascinating story. We follow Joe's early life and the struggles he lives through with his family after his mother dies and his father remarries and they struggle through difficult economic times. Joe learns to work to support himself, but decides that he will go to college. For him the way to survive college at the University of Washington is to make the crew team.

As the story shifts to the University, we meet the eight other men who make up Joe's team, and more importantly to Joe, we meet the boat. And the boatmaker. I was amazed at the descriptions of the boat and how difficult it is to row because of the balance required. But this team starts winning.

It is an excellent book, and I highly recommend it.




*****
Image result for the sherlockian

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
Format: Audiobook

The Story: This is a mystery that centers around a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle legend. Doyle kept journals, but the journal that would cover the time when Doyle decided to resurrect Sherlock Holmes after he killed him off is missing. It is the holy grail of the Holmes fanatics. This mystery gets tangled up with a murder and both must be solved.

The Review: Can I be honest? I listened to this after one of my surgeries this summer. I don't know if I really slept through the entire thing, or if it's the meds, but I have no memory of this book. I have no idea what happened. I don't know if it was interesting. I really just don't remember.




*****
Image result for the tipping point

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Format: Audiobook

The Story: Gladwell examines the point that turns something into a trend. His examples range from an unpopular shoe being picked up by a few kids and then spreading to become the shoe everyone has to have, to the spread of suicide among teens.

The Review: This is a good read and listen. Gladwell is engaging and has tons of examples to prove his point.

If you've never read it, I recommend it.





*****
Image result for the life of pi book

Life of Pi by
Format: Audiobook

The Story: Pi Patel leaves India with his family and the animals from their zoo. There is a terrible storm and the ship they are all on sinks, leaving Pi as the only survivor in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, a gorilla, and a tiger named Richard Parker.

The Review: This is a reread and a new listen for me. This is a great book. It is beautifully written. I love Pi as the narrator. He is so introspective and thoughtful even while he must do everything he can to keep himself alive in a lifeboat.

The narration of this was also great. It was easy to listen to.






2 comments:

  1. I am 29 years old and I was diagnosis of Breast cancer, easy well and have a similar story except my first acceptance as a Herbal medicine denials. I wasn’t into the movement Perseid and didn’t establish connections with any of them really, just had faith in believing how they work. I say this because it was during using Dr Itua herbal medicine i now then testify herbal medicine is real, Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my breast cancer I was suffering from for 2 years. Dr Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs which has no side effect and is easy to drink as well. Contact Dr Itua herbal Center if you are suffering from the same Breast Cancer or any kind of human Diseases including....HIV/AIDS, HERPES COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER, UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA, VIRUS, HEPATITIS, WOMEN/MEN INFERTILITY, LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL. HIS CONTACT EMAIL/WHATSAPP: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck.
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmai.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete