Friday, February 22, 2013

And I'm sure some fool in the Donner party said the snow would stop any day now. I like to think they ate him first.

Snow Day Musings

I know I haven't blogged for real in quite a while. And perhaps my book reviews are becoming totally boring. I'm not really sure if I want to try and go back to blogging regularly or if I'll just keep this as a book review only space. (Because I like reviewing the books and looking back at what I have read). But in lieu of deciding anything on that, I'll just tell you a few stories about my snow days.

The middle has been hit with "Snowmaggedon 2013!" The news has been tracking the storm and predicting 6-10 inches of snow for my area for an entire week. They are really good a the hype.

My officemate came back to the office after her class on Monday and said, "My students came in this morning and said, 'Are we having class on Thursday?'" And she just looked at them and was like "It's Monday! What's wrong with you?"

By Wednesday, all of my coworkers had confessed they were totally praying for a snow day.

I'm signed up for the school's text alerts, so when my phone beeped on Thursday morning at 5:21 am, I rolled over and looked at it and saw that they had indeed cancelled classes. I went back to sleep. When my alarm clock went off at 6 am, I shut it off and went back to sleep. But then I thought, wait, I want to know how much snow is out there. So I rolled out of bed and went and looked out the window. I stood there for a few minutes, because I had to let my eyes adjust.

Seriously? They cancelled school? There is NO SNOW out here!

But it started snowing with half an hour, and it fell hard and fast. At 9:30 am, it was "Thundersnowing" with lightening and all. By 12:30 pm we had 10 inches. By 2 pm we had another inch, and I went out to shovel.

My funny story on facebook:
How I make decisions:
Should I go shovel my driveway now? I'll check fb first... hm... only one person said she shoveled her driveway. Nope! I'm going to read a book instead.

Photo: How I make decisions:
 Should I go shovel my driveway now? I'll check fb first... hm... only one person said she shoveled her driveway. Nope! I'm going to read a book instead. Happy snow day!

It took me two hours to shovel my driveway.

And here are the funny stories from that:
1. My neighbor.
Apparently my neighbor did not spend the night at her house. So at 2 pm, right as I was coming outside to begin shoveling, she drove up to her house. The street had been slightly plowed (very slightly) but as she turned to go up her driveway she got stuck. Yes, a tiny Saturn against 11 inches of snow. That's exactly what is going to happen. So she backed up and tried again. She got stuck going both ways. So she parked her car and left it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD! Then she got out, walked to her house and went inside.

As I said, I spent 2 hours outside shoveling my driveway. She never came back outside.

At 6 pm, I was on the phone with my sister, and looked outside. Neighbor lady came back outside with a snowblower. Me: "Are you kidding me? She owns a snowblower and just left her car in the road all afternoon?!" She starts blowing snow at the garage door. In the next hour, she gets about two to three feet in front of the garage door cleared, and then she goes back inside. Leaving her car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.

Yes, it's still in the middle of the road.

IMG_20130222_112043.jpg



2. How I entertain myself while shoveling snow.
Shoveling, shoveling, shoveling. Singing. Shoveling. Singing.

Thinking: You know, it's a good thing I'm not a math teacher. I would come up with horrible math word problems like:
Emily lives in a house with an 18 ft long driveway. If it snows 11 inches, and Emily has to shovel the entire driveway by herself, how much snow (in cubic inches) does she have to move?
And if she has to shovel an additional 5 ft into the road how much did she shovel?
And if snow weighs .23 lbs/cubic inch, how many pounds of snow did Emily move?

Bwah hahaha, they would hate me.

It's a good thing instead that I teach English and just get to come up with writing prompts like:
What is the biggest storm you remember?
What was your favorite thing to do when you had snow days as a child?
How did you spend your snow day?
How do you prepare for big forecasted storms? Did you prepare adequately?

No comments:

Post a Comment