Friday, October 30, 2009

He's the boy who dissected a frog, did not wash his hands, and then ate a sandwich.

My campus has finally joined in the quest to stop the swine flu by handwashing. While the media and the scientists continue to duke it out amongst themselves over the usefulness of handwashing, my campus has decided to install Purell stations strategically throughout the various buildings.
http://www.blockandcompany.com/resources/blockandco/images/products/processed/GOJ2423DS.zoom.1.jpg
I saw them and thought, hm... Good idea.

They are free-standing and automatic. So you just hold your hand underneath the dispenser and it squirts out a dollop for you.

Then I realized that every time I walk past these things, my hands are full of books, and I can't use them.

And then I asked my class if they were using them and they all said, "Using what?" "Where?" "I didn't even notice."

Last night, I was leaving class and decided to try the Purell station out.

Much to my surprise it squirted foaming hand sanitizer into my hand. And, out loud, I said, "What is this!" Then I tried to rub it into my hands, and there was way too much. My hands are much too small for this "standard" amount. So then I walked up the stairs to my office, and hand gross sticky hands, like a 3 year old.

And I had to wash them with soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment