Friday, October 30, 2009

SNOOPY COME HOME!

Last night in my class we talked about introductions. There are many types of introductions, and then we had to talk specifically about how to write an introduction for a story.

I suggested that the class start their story by setting the scene, explaining when and where it happened. And then I said that this is the most common way to start a story. How many have you heard that begin, "Once upon a time..." or "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Totally blank looks on "It was a dark and stormy night." "Seriously?" I said. "That's how Snoopy always starts his stories."

Snoopy typing



More blank looks.

"You people have never read Snoopy? Charlie Brown?"

No.

I wanted to rant like Carla, "Where are you people from?!! Where in the world do I live?!!" But I sat and thought, maybe I'm old. No, that can't be an age thing, I have a huge range of ages in that class. And then I was just sad. These kids are surrounded by information, so surrounded by constant narcissistic status updates that they don't get to enjoy simple things like good comics.

1 comment:

  1. i really do seriously wonder what black hole you've fallen into that you teach students who are this culturally deprived... oh well, at least you have something to blog about :)

    ReplyDelete