Wednesday, May 20, 2015

When I get around to writing my memoirs, you can expect a very effusive footnote.

We're making progress. I hope you are getting good books ideas.


Memoir

Tracks by Robyn Davidson
Robyn Davidson writes about her trek across the Australian outback alone with camels in the 1970s. The idea is a bit like Wild -- a woman, alone, doing a crazy, long, and difficult, physical journey.

I'll confess. I didn't actually finish this one. I got halfway through and she still hadn't started the actual journey and I was bored with her explaining how she was trying to do something.

I can't recommend it.


Two or Three Things I know for Sure by Dorothy Allison
It is really difficult to sum up this memoir. Allison writes about her life growing up, she reflects on how women were treated and keeps coming back to the things she knows for sure.

This is dark and not very inspirational. It is a fast read and Allison's style is really interesting. It has flavors of slam poetry. So it is a fast read and interesting. But very tough subject-mattter.

I recommend it with reservations.


I am Malala by Malala Yousafazai
Malala is the girl who was shot by the Taliban because she was a vocal advocate for educating girls. She writes about her life and her fight for education and being shot. She is an engaging storyteller and is passionate about the subject of education.

I highly recommend this.

***
Up next:
Spirituality
How to Expand Love by the Dalai Lama
Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron
No Time to Lose by Pema Chodron

Audiobook
The Eight by Katherine Neville
Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
The Song of the Lioness Series (Numbers 1-4) by Tamora Pierce
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Emily of New Moon by LM Montgomery
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Winnie the Pooh and the House at Pooh Corner by AA Milne
The Look of Love by Sarah Jio
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment