Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!

It is reading day, so most appropriately I am reading. And probably doing way more reading than any students are doing today. I collected portfolios from each of my students - a collection of their writing. The only part of this I actually read closely is the reflective essay at the beginning, where they have a chance to comment on their own writing and progress.

I bring you one student's beginning:
"Have you ever ran a mile around a track? A mile is four laps around the standard track. Starting the first lap you're running hard and steady. It's all or nothing. Endurance is high, enthusiasm is high. You're prepared. You're sailing. During the second lap you're still flying. There is pain and suffering now, but you are still looking forward. It'll be alright. You've got it. Not to worry. Then, during the third lap, everything just hits you. Even though your legs are on auto drive, still pumping, still pushing forward, you slow down a lot. The pain increases. There seems to be almost nothing left. There's no drive, no enthusiasm, just momentum - and there's not much of that. When the fourth lap opens, even though suffering, you find a little spark. You can see the end. You should have been able to get through the third lap better than that. So you give it every thing you have left just to cross that line."

All errors are his. Now I have to give him some credit. It's a good beginning. He uses short, choppy sentences which do a nice job of simulating a runner's breathing pattern or thought process. But I'm offended. Have you ever run a mile?! Seriously? I run more than 3 miles every day! And secretly, I will judge you as a wuss if you feel this bad after running one mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment