Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You do remind me a little of Hooch.

Work and bad writing.

I'm sure you would assume that I am talking about my student's bad writing. But no. I'm referring to my own.

Heather called me out for my last post about the blanket. And she totally sounded like me, "Details! You should have provided more details!"

So let me try again.

I crocheted this blanket. It is my first crochet project ever in my life, and while my inability to follow directions followed me into this arena just as it haunts me in cooking, I think it turned out pretty well.


***
Some other odds and ends.

I got my hair cut last week. I don't really like it, so here is a picture and you can give your own judgment.

The bangs are a little worse today than normal, but that's pretty much how it is looking every day. Ignore my squirrelly eyes, I was half closing them.

I am thinking that maybe next time I should take in a picture of Kate Beckett, the detective on Castle.

***
I got a few really nice comment about my post over the last five years. I was still thinking about the last five years last week, and had the thought of a couple things I should add to that.

1. Places I've worked
--LabCorp. Super boring data-entry temp job.
--Brooks Museums Magnet Elementary School. Kindergarten Teacher's Aide. Rough job.
--The Science House. I can't stay away. High school program for that summer.
--The University Writing Center. As a tutor.
--The Mustard Seed. A plant nursery. Hard work, but it actually made me think about throwing in the towel on all this English stuff. Glad I didn't though.
--Teaching as a grad student. My first year, 4 classes.
--The Mustard Seed for a new summer season.
--And my current job.
Eight jobs in 5 years. Does that look bad on a resume? Maybe it isn't something I should brag about.

Along with things I shouldn't brag about, I was thinking one of them is how many places I have lived in those 5 years. I mentioned the cities in my last post, but it's funnier to think about the number of apartments.
--Raleigh. Always at the parents. That's the benefit of Raleigh.
--Boone. Two different apartments.
--Here. Two different apartments. Now my house.
Six places in 5 years, that doesn't sound as bad as the jobs.

And to end with something that I can brag about: Races.
I ran a 10K in 1:03. I ran a Thanksgiving 5K in 27 min.
Maybe more to come on that. We'll see.


***
Finally. Classes.
My classes are going well for the most part. I have one group of duds, but at least their writing is decent. But I have two tiny girls in one of my classes. They came in the first day, and I thought wow, they are tiny. And then I thought, I wonder if people think that when they see me.

Then during the name game, one of them used the adjective "short." It was good because I remembered her name.

Before you think, of course people think that about you, I realized today, while following the short one down the hall, that she is a full head shorter than I am. So I decided that people don't look at me and think, wow, she is tiny.

3 comments:

  1. I hate to break it to you, but YES! Everyone who sees you thinks, OH MY GOODNESS, she is tiny! And even more so when they hug you and realize they could snap you in two like a twig! Hahahaha.

    And yes, I was watching Castle tonight (love tivo), and thinking, you could totally rock her hair (from the first season, not the poofy weirdness that was on earlier)... and I was actually thinking her hair now might be a good look for me..... Yes? No? (the longer, slightly less poofy look).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Castle too (love Hulu)! And I really like her hair.

    And you found someone whose a full head shorter than you? Haha, just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts, I am copying you on my blog. I am turning 30 and I am using your idea to commemorate my 20s. I guess I am also copying Heather too, you are both really smart. Great job on the blanket, I too am glad that you added in details.

    ReplyDelete