Monday, June 27, 2011

"And I can do the sewing." "Leave the sewing to the women. You go get some trimmin'."

**In case you don't recognize it, the title of this post is from Disney's Cinderella, and the misogyny is theirs, not mine.**

A photo documentation of why I should not be allowed to sew.


Step 1: Cutting out the pattern.
It is a pattern labeled "EASY," and I only had to cut out two pieces.

It took me 45 minutes.



Step 2: Sew in the zipper.
I didn't understand the directions on the pattern, so I used the directions that came with the zipper.

After an hour, this happened:


Yeah, that's the bobbin side of the zipper. I have no idea.

Another hour later and this is what I have:

Problems:
1. It just barely fits, and will be too small if I eat a large lunch.
2. Because it just barely fits, it sits quite high on my waist which makes it short.
3. Because it just barely fits, it pulls and exposes the zipper that is supposed to be invisible.
4. I should have lined it because the fabric is white.

So feedback please. Should I:
A. Unpick everything, buy some fabric for a liner, and start over completely.
B. Unpick everything and sew a skirt that fits, but just plan on wearing a slip.
C. Walk away with a reminder of the lesson that I should have learned last summer (ie. I can't sew).
D. Fill in an option of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. Sad... the beautiful Japan fabric.... Unpick it, take out the zipper, and just do an elastic waist. Any chance you can reduce the seam margins to get it to be less tight? Oh, and just plan on wearing a slip. Lining a skirt is like making two skirts... and we all know where that will end up :)

    ReplyDelete