Sunday, June 12, 2011

When I shall sit, you shall sit. When I shall kneel, you shall kneel.

There is an outdoor theater here that opens during the summer and has a variety of Broadway plays and concerts.

On Friday, a friend and I went and saw The King and I. The performance was great, and you couldn't beat our $10 seats. During intermission, they came out and warned us that it looked like rain was heading our way. I pulled out my poncho and was ready for it, but it didn't even rain on us.

At the beginning of the play, Anna says, "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera" when she is talking to the king. He says, "What is this etcetera?" She explains what it means, and so he uses it throughout the rest of the show. The actor playing the king really played up the etceteras, so after a while the audience started laughing every single time he said it.


I have seen the movie version several times, but I have to be honest, all I remembered was the basic plot, the song "Getting to Know You," and the etceteras.

So as I was watching the performance, I kept expecting the King to say, "So let it be written, so let it be done."

I was kind of disappointed that he never did. There were obvious times that he should have, and I couldn't figure out why he didn't.

On Saturday morning, I figured out why.


Wrong movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment