Thursday, October 23, 2008

A good pilot is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned.

It's time for evaluations. First we went to lots of meetings about evaluations. Now my students are evaluating me. Then my boss will evaluate me (whenever he decides to). At least with my students there's some payback. They evaluate me, I grade them. Fair's fair.

Until they make me really uncomfortable.

I'm not actually in the room when they evaluate me. And I'm not actually supposed to know anything that goes on while they evaluate me. But one of the secretaries is kind of chatty. So she told me all about it.

She gave the evaluations in my "rowdy boy" class. For some reason in this class, the number of boys drastically outweighs the number of girls, and the difference is made even more dramatic by the personalities of the boys (I say boys, most of them are between 19 and 25). So I have (lovingly) termed it my rowdy boy class.

When I got back to the office after class, I expected a full report from the secretary, but she started off.

"That class isn't rowdy. They're so cute!"

I just laughed. Of course they can be well-behaved for strangers.

"You know I tell them to write in comments, because that is what is useful for you. So I was telling them to write in comments on the lines, what they like, what they don't like, what you do well. And the big guy said, 'Can I just put that she's easy on the eyes?'"

1 comment: