Friday, November 14, 2008

I mean, how often do you really look at a man's feet?

I like to watch people at the gym. Sometimes I feel a little creepy about doing this, because I definitely don't want people to watch me when I'm at the gym. Because, ew. But most of the time I pretend that other people can't see me, and I just watch them to my heart's content (ever thought about what a strange phrase that is?).

This morning, well, let me start at the beginning.

I go to the gym about 7:30 in the morning. I'm a professor, I don't have anywhere to be. I am still surprised at how many old people are at the gym when I am there. I know the demographic is skewed based on the time, but it's still amazing to me. So I go to the gym and work out with all the old people. Let me tell you, it's doing wonders for my self-esteem.

This morning, I was doing crunches on the mat, when an old man walked over. And I started cracking up. He was dressed in a coordinated grey tracksuit. You know the kind, short sleeve shirt (I'm sure it has a jacket, but at this point he had ditched it), grey pants with the stripe down the side. And, on his feet, shiny black dress shoes.

And I'm serious about shiny. I'm sure he had just polished these nice dress shoes.

As I was laying on the mat, chuckling about the man and his dress shoes, I couldn't stop thinking about The Shawshank Redemption.

So for now the dress shoes have become my top favorite gym moment, and last week's moment has fallen to a distant second place. But I'll tell you about it anyway.

Again, I was on the mat stretch or doing crunches or something, and two girls walked over to use the mat beside me.

One was in a tube top.

A bright pink, terry-cloth-looking material, tube top. I just laughed and laughed. Who works out in a tube top? If you run (which she probably didn't), everything would just fall right out!

I guess that's one way to get some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment