Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Basic principles. Any man can sweep any woman off her feet. All he needs is the right broom.

There is so much to catch up on. I don't even know where to start.

How about here:
http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/files/original/040820_michaelPhelps_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

Remember back when school started, and I told you I have a student whose smile makes him look like Christian Bale?

Well, that eight-week class ended, and now Christian Bale has been joined by a student whose smile makes him look like Michael Phelps.

I've never had a semester like this before.

***
Yesterday, I had to evaluate another instructor. This is yet another one of those tasks that most people complain about. But secretly, I learn a lot. I totally learned a new way of teaching research. It made a lot of sense to me, so I'm hoping it could help some of my students. (Oh yeah, we're teachers, we blatantly steal.)

However, it's always amusing to watch the dynamics in someone else's classroom.

There was one pair of students in this room that acted like they are a couple. At one point, he said something to her and she responded by shoving him.

And I thought of this:


Minute 4:29 -- "For those of you who haven't been to high school, hitting is a good thing."

***
In my class last night, we read the article "Body Ritual Among the Nacirema." This is a satire, a concept which takes a ton of explanation -- even for kids raised in the Comedy Central generation who have tons of examples in Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart.

Sorry. I'm getting back into my rant... Back on track now.

My favorite part of this article talks about our dentist visits and explains why we place such a high premium on oral hygiene.

It says: "Were it not for the rituals of the mouth, they believe that their teeth would fall out, their gums bleed, their jaws shrink, their friends desert them, and their lovers reject them."

We talked about this for a while and I asked if that's what they think about oral hygiene, if lovers rejecting them is really the reason that they brush their teeth. This lead to a discussion of morning breath and the comment that heck yes, I would never date someone with nasty teeth.

So I mentioned the commercial where the friend tells a girl that she will set her up on a date if she will whiten her smile in two weeks. And at the end of the commercial, the girl wins the guy.

And I thought back to the beginning of the semester when my students asked why I am single.

I think I found a new answer.

And I'm on my way to Target to buy some Crest Whitestrips.

**Disclaimer: I was not paid or compensated in any way by Crest or their subsidiaries.**

No comments:

Post a Comment